Sunday, 4 October 2026

The end is in sight (maybe)

And so here we are, entering the last three months of 2026. The year has rushed past and it feels like we are hurtling towards 2027 and a rather uncertain future. And goodness, over the year so far, there have been some changes to a world with which we might all have felt familiar. The wars in the Middle East feel as if they have stalled, and the war in Ukraine feels like it is escalating with no end in sight. I was reminded (as if we need reminding) of just how long the Russian - Ukraine conflict has been running (as of this morning, it's been1681 days) when explaining why I was wearing one yellow clog and one blue clog.

I first put them on, as a sign of solidarity with the Ukrainian people, in the first week of the conflict, and have worn them ever since. Almost inevitably, when people see them for the first time they do one of three things: women tend to say they 'like my clogs'; men ask why I’m wearing them; others simply look away, don’t say anything and don’t make eye contact. I was at an NHS Alliance Leaders event in London, when I was asked the question, this time, about my clogs.

Now it might have just been me, but for the most part, there didn’t seem to be much energy in the room. To be fair, there didn’t seem to be as many people in the room compared to other similar leaders' events I’ve attended. I could only imagine that, with all the organisational turmoil across the NHS at present, and an ever-increasing demand for care having to be met with ever diminishing resources, many leaders and managers might have difficulty in giving up a day to attend this type of event.

As the day started, the first speaker noted that, as he was speaking, Yvette Cooper (Secretary of State for Health and Social Care) was on her feet speaking at the Labour Party Conference in Liverpool. It’s beginning to become clear, as to what she is focussing on, and what her priorities might be. Interestingly, it seems the 10 Year Health Plan is becoming more of a reference point, with her focus very firmly on population groups. In an approach reminiscent of the original NHS ‘cradle to grave’ ethos, her focus is on maternity care, children and young people, the frail elderly, people with cancer, and people with mental illness.

In many ways, addressing these groups is also congruent with the new Prime Minister's commitment to creating a National Care Service. I was part of a breakout groups asked to discuss this ambition. The group was made up of three Mental Health Chairs, and just one Acute Chair. There were two outcomes we all agreed on: the first was a desire to see a modern-day equivalent of the successful ‘Sure Start’ initiative; and to stop thinking about 'frail elderly people' as being somehow a homogenous group.

The elderly are (he says with no tongue-in-cheek intended) an important group in society. Their contribution to the wider society has gone before them, and in so many different ways. As they reach their twilight years, their needs are clearly also going to be different. Some will be frail, but others at the same age, won’t be. Despite not being eligible for a Covid vaccination when I got this year’s flu jab, due to my age, I’m now officially in the elderly age group. Whilst some things now feel more difficult (climbing into a tree to trim the branches with my chainsaw, for example) for most aspects of my life the only difference is I might be a little slower. In some situations, that can be a good thing.

For me, 2026 does feel as if it is rapidly coming to a close. However, there are plenty more things that I want to do before the year ends. Things that will hopefully make me feel good. And that is the thing. I hope that, the National Care Service, when it comes, is underpinned by an unchangeable principle of helping everyone to live their best life, and live well. It is a principal that should apply to us all, whatever our age.

As for me personally, as the year moves to its close, I’m beginning to think about my future. Maybe my working life is also moving closer to an end point – who knows, but watch this space folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment