Sunday 9 February 2020

Healthcare Innovations: which came first, the chicken or the egg?


Last Friday, we were helping one of our neighbours write an important letter to his employer. J got a pen and pad of paper out, whereas I wanted to use my laptop. When I suggested capturing her thoughts on the computer she very sternly replied, ‘No, I like to think when I write, and can do that better when I write my thoughts out on paper’. I have learnt that in such situations, discretion and keeping silent is always the best option to choose. But it made me think.

For me, the keyboard, computer and Microsoft Word have been revolutionary. For writers, they have been a real boon. I can capture my thoughts, write them out, review and change where necessary, cut and paste a line or two, or even whole chapters, and no ‘Tipp-Ex’ is involved. For younger readers, Tipp-Ex (first produced in 1965) was a wonderful thing for poor typists like me, and for poor students who wanted to change a word or two in their papers. These days, I can’t imagine anyone using the stuff. The computer has, like many things, made my life as an academic and writer so much easier. In fact, it’s possibly the world’s greatest invention, or is it?

The Nobel prize-winning Economist Robert Mundell once famously declared that the most important invention in the 20th century was the chicken. Now regular readers of this blog and followers on Twitter might think I am somewhat biased when I say I have to agree with him, but bear with me. However, as a vegetarian and an avid collector of chickens of all sorts, I’m not sure I agree with his reasoning. Mundell observed that modern farming production methods had since the mid-20th century (between the end of World War 2 and the 1970s) so dramatically reduced the price of chicken that it was essentially, for all practical economic purposes, an entirely ‘new good’. In 1900, most people had to work two hours and 40 minutes to be able to buy a 1.5kg chicken. By 2000, they only needed to work 14 minutes to buy one and today it would be a mere three minutes! It’s perhaps not surprising that what was once a luxury Sunday dinner is now an everyday source of protein. Indeed, in the UK, 2.2 million chickens are eaten every single day!

As an economist, Mundell was making the point that innovation is always as much about price, as it is about creating ‘new goods’. The same is true in healthcare, as it is in food production. Innovation has seen the development of cures for some cancers, successful organ transplants, state-of-the-art diagnostics, hip replacements and so forth – there is a long list of such innovations, and the good thing is that they continue to be developed. But, our (that is Wigan Hospitals) Quality Champions initiative has shown that there are also many smaller changes that can be made that make even the most familiar of treatments much less expensive and more effective.

There are pitfalls, of course. Telemedicine has oft been cited as an example of how new technology can move services forward, but frequently has only resulted in people getting the same old services but perhaps more rapidly and at a reduced cost. Its real benefit would come from early detection of potentially serious health problems and avoiding expensive ‘upstream’ interventions. Electronic health records (EHR) are another way where new technology, for example digital technology, has the potential to make both the patient experience much better, and save a great deal of time and money by reducing the number of times the same information has to be entered by different professionals and administrators.

When I changed GP practices last year, I had to fill in a nine page form that not only asked me for the same information on many occasions, but was actually asking for information that my previous GP already had. Ironically, I get text messages at least once a month to tell me I can look at the information my GP has on my health file. So yes, new technology is beginning to revolutionise the way we live, well at least it certainly has the potential to do so, but have you ever considered what life might be like if that technology was suddenly not there – if it were literally turned off?

Well, last week, that is absolutely what happened to our hospital. Last weekend, starting with radiography, various technological systems started to fail one by one. By Monday morning, things were looking pretty catastrophic. Monday lunchtime came and we declared a Major Incident and set up a Command and Control centre. All the hospital technological systems had failed. Patient care was now reliant on the return of a purely paper-based system for capturing diagnoses, treatment plans and so on. The Emergency Department was shut to all but the most serious of cases, and these were stabilised and then transferred out to other hospitals in the area. All elective and out-patient work was cancelled.

The problems persisted until midday on Thursday, when the systems started to be restored. As I write this there is still no indication as to the root cause. The Trust was supported during this dreadful time by so many people and organisations – Bolton Hospitals, North West Ambulance service, Wigan Council and CCG to name a few - all provided fantastic support and helped ensure compassionate and high quality care continued to be provided. And of course, colleagues working in the hospital deserve the highest praise for their determination to ensure they continued to provide the best possible care for our patients.

And just like some people might buy their value chicken breasts from Tesco, (yes there are other supermarkets) and others will still go to Waitrose or directly to the actual farm to get their organic corn-fed bird, new technological innovations will inevitably change how healthcare is provided. Hopefully the more traditional hands-on, personal interaction between healthcare practitioner and patient will still be there for everyone. Just as when J had written her thoughts down on a piece of paper, I dutifully copied them on to my computer enabling our neighbour to have his own printed copy to take away.


No comments:

Post a Comment