Sunday 18 June 2023

Of Chickens and Men* with apologies to John Steinbeck **

I wonder how many readers of this blog knew that last Monday was International Superman Day. I certainly didn’t until I heard it on the radio and looked up what it was about. Superman Day was started in 2013. It was a marketing campaign to celebrate the release of the film ‘Man of Steel’ by DC Entertainment. Superman was created in 1933 by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. I discovered that the history of Superman is fascinating, but I haven’t room in this blog to share, so do have a look at this site. I was also amused that Superman Day coincided with the start of Men’s Health week. This annual event is organised in the UK by the Men’s Health Forum. Internationally, the week was first started in 2002. The week aims to rise awareness of preventable health problems that can disproportionately affect men, and importantly encourage them to gain the courage to tackle their health issues. Not all men are supermen.  

Indeed, the average man’s life expectancy is 3.7 years less than a woman’s. One man in five dies before they reach 65. Men tend to go to their doctor far less than women, and men are three times more likely to die from suicide than women. In the UK three out of every four suicides are men. Suicide is the biggest cause of death in men aged under 45. The Mental Health Foundation notes that one in eight men will be living with a common mental health problem such as anxiety, stress or depression. So, it is not surprising perhaps, that the themes for this year’s Men’s Health Week are ‘men’s health and the internet’ – a theme that focuses on the impact of technology and social media on mental health.

The Men’s Health Forum reminds us that the iPhone first went on sale in 2007. Those born then will turn 16 this year. Unlike myself, these folk will have grown up what can be described as a high-performance computer in their pocket. I didn’t get my first computer until I was 30. It was a great big clunky Amstrad. Its usefulness now would pale into insignificance compared to even today’s oldest iPhone.

This year’s theme, whilst looking at the possible impact on men’s health, also highlights a potential emergent dilemma for policy makers. NHS England devoted an entire chapter in its Long Term Plan to describe its digitally enabled care ambitions. The Secretary of State for Health and Care, Steve Barclay, in his keynote speech to the NHS Confed last week, pledged to protect the NHS technology funding, noting that increasingly digital technology will be the cornerstone of how future healthcare will be accessed and often delivered. Already many of us will have become familiar with using the NHS App, booking appointments, ordering repeat prescriptions and so on online. Virtual consultations, virtual wards and ‘hospital at home’ services are all dependent upon web-based programmes. Indeed, many of those 16 year olds today will have not known any different ways of accessing help.

As more healthcare gets delivered using new technology, the downside is it may be harming us as well. My iPhone tells me every week how much time I have spent online. Without judging me, it will tell me whether this is more or less than the week before. How many of us now really dislike Zoom and Teams meetings, preferring instead to engage in face2face meetings once more – I know I do! It is not just in our working lives that real-life person to person interactions are becoming far less frequent. Don’t get me wrong, I still believe there is still a place for virtual conversations. I’m currently Facetiming my father every day as we work through my mum’s hospitalisation, and it is the only practical way I can support him as they live five hours away from me.

Arguably though, a growing reliance on social media and other digital forms of communication, reduces that sense of friendship, kinship and family life that comes from regular person to person encounters. I think that this might be a growing contributor to those people who report they often experience loneliness and isolation. The recently updated Community Life Survey on Wellbeing and Loneliness (see here) reported that some three million people in England often or always feel lonely. Interestingly, it the 16 year old cohort who feel lonely, more often than other age groups. Men reported feeling lonely less often than women, but given men’s general reluctance to share how they might be feeling, I don’t find this fact surprising. Twice as many men than women struggle with their emotional intelligence. Loneliness can often exacerbate this. Lonely people can also lose the sense that their life has any meaning. Likewise, loneliness is often associated with poor nutrition, sleeplessness and not taking adequate exercise. All of which are not great for anyone’s health and wellbeing. Loneliness can increase the risk of premature mortality by up to 65%.

So, I’m glad that the focus for this year’s Men’s Health Week has opened up the debate as to both the usefulness of new technologies and also the risk there might be to some folk’s health and wellbeing. What of the chicken? Well, a story caught my eye last week, for no other reason than it mentioned chickens. It was about the discovery of the ancient underground city of Elengbu in Turkey by a man (whose name we don’t know) chasing his chickens. The hens went into a hole in a wall of room being renovated. After crawling through after them he discovered the entrance to an underground city. This was in 1963. You can read more on this fascinating story here, as it is only included in this blog so I could use it in the blog’s title. I know a little contrived so please forgive me. What became of his adventurous chickens, however, remains a mystery.  

 *John Steinbeck’s book Of Mice and Men, tells the tale of two farm workers, one with a learning disability who travel together and dream of a day when they can work their own land. Written 70 years before the first iPhone, the story explores themes of discrimination, human rights, equality, freedom, loneliness and the desire to find a place we could all call home.

**This is an old video made from a previous life - it shows me as the original man with chickens - watch and chuckle  


No comments:

Post a Comment