Sunday 23 April 2023

Chicken Run: and this ain’t no chicken blog*

Now regular readers of this blog will know I have a thing about chickens. As well as having a small flock of backyard chickens, I boast having the world’s largest collection of all things ‘chicken’. Our house has over 6,000 chicken-related objects and paintings. I don’t know why the interest, but it has been almost a lifetime’s passion. So, I make no apologies by opening up this week’s blog with a few lines about our chickens.

Tuesday was a red letter day. The bird flu restrictions which have kept all hens and poultry housed inside for the past 7 months were lifted. Whilst strict biosecurity measures, and a ban of poultry markets and fairs remains in place, chickens are now allowed outside. Free range eggs will soon once again be on sale at your local supermarket.

During the hen lockdown, I built a large aviary for our hens. It has meant they have been able to get fresh air and scratch around undercover and with no risk to their health from wild birds. First thing Tuesday morning, I opened the poop hole for them to come out into the garden. There was a rush of very excited hens all trying to get out first. I smiled and felt good inside. I watched for a moment or two and then went to feed the goats. Minutes later I returned to the hen house, and all the hens were back inside the aviary! It was as if they were frightened to enjoy the big wide world once again. Over last week they have returned to normal behaviours and it is wonderful to see them wandering around again. 

Last Friday was also a red letter day. One of our chickens hatched three of her eggs. She has been sitting on 16 eggs, most of which weren’t hers. Chickens might look soft and stupid, but they are highly intelligent. As soon as she hatched her eggs, she got off her nest, and deserted the other non-viable eggs. Sadly, one her new offspring died, but she is still pleased as punch with her two remaining chicks. These might survive or not. It’s how nature works. Last year we had over 50 chicks hatched. Sounds good, but it’s a problem. We can sell or keep the hens but what do you with the cockerels? – I’m a long time vegetarian, and haven’t eaten meat for over 50 years. J likes meat, but wouldn’t ever eat anything we had reared. Yes, it’s a problem.

Every so often I will sort out the problem. J won’t. She is not a farmer, and I love her for it, and she even gives our animals and poultry names. I’m slightly more pragmatic. I allow them a brief but interesting life, and when the cockerels start fighting with each other, something they inevitably do, I despatch them quickly and humanely. I always do it on a night when the hens are roosting, so that none of the other hens get scared or anxious. Care and compassion is just as important in poultry-keeping as it is when looking after those folk who come through our healthcare doors.

I was reminded of this last week as colleagues from our Acute Frailty Unit (AFU) celebrated the success of their frailty awareness week. Looking after folk who are often the most vulnerable to falls and the life-changing injuries that can follow, takes huge skill, knowledge, determination and yes, oodles of compassion. Last week saw many of our wards that provide care to older patients celebrate another month of being ‘falls free’. The team at AFU have steadfastly driven down the number of patient falls over the last few months and are way ahead of the target they set themselves on their journey to no falls at all.

I have to say that I’m impressed with the positive attitude colleagues promote to living well with frailty. Patients are encouraged to get out of bed, to dress and take part in an active daily routine. No wrapping up in cotton wool here. Their approach embodies much of Brian Dolan’s end-PJ-paralysis campaign (see here) and clearly, they are making a difference. I’m ashamed to say I was slightly amused by their home hazards lounge competition, but when I reflected upon it, actually it was very much like my elderly parents’ living room. I’m ashamed to say that at times, it also resembles our lounge. J will say it’s categorically not her who creates such mayhem, and I have no defence.

The importance of my colleagues’ approach is that they show what might be possible by ‘doing’. Our proud hen with her two new chicks, is already allowing them to explore their new world through ‘doing’, in her world, pecking, scratching the ground for goodies, learning how to keep warm and literally understanding the pecking order that keeps our hen house free from constant conflict.

And it’s not just colleagues on the AFU who do something similar. It is a team effort. Last week, the AFU team held a tea party on the ward. A proper ‘fancy cakes and sandwiches’ tea party. It was our award-winning catering colleagues who helped bring this ambition to life. I don’t think I ever tire of say that ‘teamwork makes the dream work’ – and last week I could see this idea in action.

Every year, the arrival of new chicks helps me stay grounded. I see them and know it’s possible for new ways of being hopeful for the future, and a challenge in the present to get through. Our chicks will do just that, and I’m sure, with folk like my colleagues, we will continue to succeed in making a difference to the lives of many others. We can, in lots of little but often significant ways, care, inspire, and protect those with whom we come into contact. Maybe even, we can aspire to be like our new Mother Hen, who apparently is called Ursula, and find new ways to do just that.

Her 2 new chicks are yet to be named.

 

*Apologies to Nick Park and Peter Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment