Sunday 1 January 2023

2023, the Year of the Rabbit and a Year of Hope

It’s Day 312 in the Ukrainian war and there is still no end in sight. I have continued to wear my one yellow and one blue clogs since the war started. I will continue to do so until the war has ended. I watched with both interest and admiration as many Ukrainians celebrated their Christmas and prepared for 2023. In the face of what most of us would consider unthinkable in this day and age, the people of Ukraine have consistently shown great resilience, pride, fortitude and optimism. It is something I will return to presently.

In my recent New Year blogs, I have tended to look back at some of the things I’ve done, and/or things that have occurred during the previous 12 months. This year I’m determined to look forwards, to think about what I might do or what might be to come. Today is, after all, the start of a new year (at least in the Gregorian calendar). It will be different for people from different faiths or ethnic backgrounds. Chinese, Jewish, Hindu and Islamic calendars celebrate New Year’s Day on other dates than today. The Chinese New Year will be celebrated on the 22nd January this year and will usher in the Year of the Rabbit, which is predicted to be a year of hope. 

For me, and many others, today is the start of a new year with all the opportunities that this might bring. When I think about the future, I increasingly feel optimistic. In such a troubled world, some folk might see this as a strange feeling to have. Yes, there are some challenging aspects to most people’s lives at present, mine included. However, there is much research that has shown people who are optimistic are more likely to cope better with many of the challenges of daily life. Arguably, people are more likely to be optimistic if they are enjoying good health and a good quality of life, but research also shows that optimism isn’t confined to those doing well. The people of Ukraine are living examples of this proposition perhaps.

I would describe myself as a ‘glass half full’ kind of person. I have long ago learnt to enjoy those things I can control and go with the flow with those I can’t – and as I get older, there are many more things I can’t control. The aches and pains of older life make themselves felt more and more often these days – but I accept them as part of life’s progression - and I let them go. It is always better to try and see the good in every situation. So what if I don’t move as fast as I once did, although I have walked over 2000 miles this year; not moving as fast means I have learnt to appreciate the world around me more. I’m not so much just passing through as loitering with intent. And there is always something to be grateful for, and this is something important to keep in mind.

Earlier in the year, when writing about the war in Ukraine, I wrote that all things would pass, including this dreadful conflict, and the many challenges we and others are facing in the world. Covid has not gone away, the price of energy remains high, and keeping warm, fed and healthy are challenges many of us are facing and will perhaps continue to face for a while yet. But they will all pass, and life will prevail.

This is my first blog of the new year. It is Blog No 699. I post it at the start of my 14th year of writing a blog every Sunday. If you are one of those folk who has, and continues to read my words each week, I say a big thank you for your support. It is always appreciated. After posting this blog, J and I are off to climb Nicky Nook, a famous fell in Lancashire. The summit provides a 360 degree panoramic view of Lancashire, Greater Manchester, the Lakes and even Wales. We will climb up and watch the first sunrise of 2023. Hopefully we can all help make the year a better place for all, and create a world full of hope and optimism.    

No comments:

Post a Comment