Sunday 3 February 2019

An apple a day keeps the Doctor at bay


This time last week I was enjoying a late start to the day, following an evening celebrating the wedding of one of my oldest friends to a wonderful lady from Portugal. It was a celebration that went way into the night and early hours. The late start was fine as we had a further two days to spend in Porto and the weather had generally been very kind. So, it was kind of surprising to get off the plane and drive home in a blizzard! I had been expecting snow from my reading of the BBC weather forecasts, but this was a total white out. And amazingly beautiful days followed as more snow fell and the landscape changed into a winter wonderland. And before you think I’m somewhat smug, I didn’t really have to go anywhere by car and could stay in the warm. I totally acknowledge that this wasn’t the case for many people down in the South of England and in parts of Wales, who really struggled with the adverse weather conditions. 

What wasn’t a surprise was coming down with yet another racking cough and streaming cold - the second since Christmas. There were three folk sitting behind J and I on the plane home and they spent the entire 2 hours 17 minutes of the flight coughing. Each time they coughed it set my teeth on edge and I could just imagine the clouds of droplets being sent my way at Mach 1 speed. I was very close to ‘air-rage’ and literally had to sit on my hands to stay calm. The three people concerned seemed impervious to my glares and largely ignored me. That was last Tuesday. By Wednesday I was already beginning to feel unwell, and yesterday I woke up with a full-blown cough and cold. 

This is slightly inconvenient, as Monday and Tuesday see the last moves being played out in what has felt like a 3-dimensional game of chess over the past 14 weeks - or what others might know best as moving to a new house. Still the van is booked, and it does have a tail lift and I have a willing assistant, which should make life easier! Currently I am sipping a lovely hot cup of Ginger and Honey Lemsip – and I still have half a bottle of fine port left for later. I know it’s a cold, and despite the inconvenience, I know it is a self-limiting condition. What I need to ameliorate the unpleasantness I can buy from Tesco (there are other supermarkets). For many people, with long term health conditions this is not the case.

However, 80% of medicines used in the UK come from European countries. The NHS spend some £20 billion on medicines each year. I’m sure you will have read the threat a ‘no-deal’ Brexit might have on this supply chain. Many commentators are worried; advice from NHSE/I suggests they are just as worried and have put in place certain contingency measures to safeguard the supply of certain medicines. Having just come back from the wonderful European country of Portugal, which also has a National Health Service, and where most folk need to contribute to the costs of their health care, I wasn’t surprised to learn their system regularly experiences shortages of some drugs and has the same capacity issues as we have in the UK. In the UK I guess it will be a case of watch this space…

Likewise, the Daily Mail raised concerns about shortages of fresh vegetables, concerns based upon a study undertaken by researchers from the University of Liverpool and Imperial College London. 84% of all fruit and almost half of all vegetables consumed is imported. The study calculated that the predicted price rises (from 14%- 17%) and shortages would result in a 11% drop in fruit and vegetables consumed across the general population. The possible consequence of this reduction in eating healthily is a predicted extra 12,000 deaths caused by heart attacks and strokes between 2021 and 2013. 

There is an alternative to this Doomsday scenario that comes in the shape of ‘an army’ of health advisors, who will work at diverting folk from the GP’s waiting room. These advisors will help people live healthier lives, help them deal with anxiety and depression and help folk recognise the causes of these conditions and how to avoid being sucked into situations that give rise to them. I think it’s a brilliant idea. Nearly half of all GP appointments are not directly related to medical conditions. Additionally, NHSE/I reported last year that 15 million people didn’t turn up for their GP appointment. I guess there are still some wrinkles to be ironed out, particularly around approaches to recruitment of these social prescribing link workers. Would someone who was a smoker or obese be employed?

And if else fails, we also have statins to fall back on. Last week saw the publication of research that showed the unequivocal benefits of people of all ages taking statins, but particularly those aged over 75 years old. Cardiovascular disease kills approximate 150,000 people in the UK each year. Nearly 60% of these deaths occur in those over the age of 75. I have been taking statins for years, and I worry about the supply drying up. Whilst I do like apples and walk every day I’m not sure on their own, they will be a good enough substitute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment