Sunday 16 December 2018

The Curse of the Writer’s Block and other tales of political intrigue


Well last week was a bit of a struggle. I have a publisher deadline that is way overdue already. The publishers kindly extended the deadline until Christmas. As I write this week’s blog, Christmas Day is just nine days away, and truthfully, apart from a chapter summary, there is not a single word yet committed to paper. Now I’m not struggling because I don’t know what to write, but because every day I seem to be running out of time. Yes, I know it’s a poor excuse and probably one I’ve heard a million times from my students, but I have convinced myself that it’s true. 

The chapter is an academic text that looks at health and social care through the lens of anthropology. It is also a second edition and one of the co-editors for the original publication was a PhD student of mine, who sadly died, much too soon, from a very aggressive liver cancer. So, there is a special reason for being part of the second edition, and the focus is right up my street – it’s a chapter that looks at health and social care organisational culture and politics. My PhD supervisor, the late, but very great Professor Joel Richman, introduced me to anthropology. He also introduced me to medical sociology, critical psychology and Coronation Street. Whilst I have pursued my interest in social and cultural anthropology, and sociology, I kicked critical psychology and Coronation Street into touch.

It was Professor Richman that got me interested in exploring organisations, the people that make them work and the nature of human relationships. He opened my eyes (and mind) to the world of organisational politics, rhetoric and the art of transcendental leadership. My PhD thesis looked at all these aspects through the development of an ethnography set in the world of GP fundholding (yes, I am that old) which focused on contractual and non-contractual relationship behaviours. It was entitled ‘Custom and Contracts in the NHS’ – which at the time I thought was a clever borrow from Max Gluckman’s book ‘Custom and Conflicts in Africa’. The latter was published in 1955 and was essentially a collection of six presentations he had made on the BBC Third Programme (now Radio 3). The fourth of these was a presentation entitled: the ‘Logic of Witchcraft’. This conceptualisation of social organisation and social cohesion absolutely resonated with my data analysis. So, I pinched it and used it as the metaphorical framework for my thesis. Big mistake!  

When the time came for my viva, the two examiners ripped my thesis to pieces, partly because the logic of witchcraft was, in any event, not a well thought through conceptualisation of how to manage conflict and change, but mainly because it simply didn’t work as a metaphor. Eventually, I used the metaphor of the family (the family of the family practitioner) which thankfully did work. All of which is a rather long-winded way of saying I know the subject I should be writing about, I have published several papers in this area, but I have been struggling over the last few weeks to put pen to paper. It didn’t seem to matter how early I got up in the morning or how late I left it before going to bed, so many other things stole my time away from me. 

It might well have been self-applied distraction therapy. I bet many readers have done this. You know, you can’t start writing until your desk is tidy, your pencils are all sharpened, you have a cuppa in hand served in your favourite mug and so on. I thought about this a bit last week in the context of politics with a big P. This blog is not the place for me to voice an opinion one way or the other over how we got to where we are with Brexit or run my political affiliations up the proverbial flag pole. However, I greatly admired the energy, commitment and resilience of those politicians (and their teams of advisors) who last week were so resolutely engaged in trying to deal with the conflict and lack of agreement over the direction the UK should be taking next year.

Some might reasonably see last week as a drama of desperation politics, but I wondered where that energy came from, how time seemed to be ‘borrowed’ to travel, discuss, argue and challenge the opinions of others. One of the outcomes noted in my PhD study was that successful changes to organisations (such as the NHS or Europe) seldom result from purposeful political action. Likewise, the complexity of the issues facing everyone around Brexit, whilst seemingly leading to rebellion, have not resulted in revolution. When the dust finally settles over the whole Brexit affair, I do wonder what customs (anthropological not border security) will remain and what future conflicts will be more difficult to resolve without the cohesion of likeminded citizens to draw upon. Just as I have no words on my chapter paper, I have no easy answers to this question either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment