Sunday 15 May 2022

A May 2022 Happiness Blog

Well folks, I find that today is my birthday! I don’t know where the past year has gone. At one time, during my hedonistic period, I didn’t really think about time being a finite thing. It didn't seem to matter that once a day had gone you couldn’t get that time back. Now in a much calmer period on my life journey, I’m absolutely aware of each day that passes. My lovely wife, J, sometimes complains that I don’t stop and simply do nothing. Of course, I do. However, there is also so much I still want to do and fit into each passing day. For example, in the spirit of #OneLifeLiveIt I spent time yesterday with my eldest daughter and youngest son and five of my grandchildren both celebrating, sharing stories, playing games, and of course eating plenty of cake. In the evening we had neighbours around for a retro style dinner party.

Today I will be celebrating my birthday with J. Later this morning we will be walking to an open air music concert at our award-winning Stanley Park. It will be only the second bandstand concert since the pandemic started. We have both missed these Sunday afternoon concerts, sitting outside with a picnic, a glass of wine and more often than not, wall-to-wall sunshine. Later on, there will a special meal and I’m sure despite tomorrow being a school day, a glass or two of bubbles. Of themselves these are little things. Together they make a much bigger thing – that is a feeling of happiness. I’m not one for science fiction, but it was the famous sci-fi author Kurt Vonnegut who reminded us to ‘enjoy the little things in life, because one day you’ll look back and realise they were the big things’. It’s the little things that can often bring us the magic of happiness; something I will return to shortly.

But first, wasn’t last week simply full on?! There were many things to reflect upon. The war in Ukraine still hasn’t ended, and daily we hear stories of abuse and cruelty that almost seem to be straight out of a ghastly Netflix film. It is day 81 of the war and there seems no end in sight. Winning the Eurovision competition seems scant compensation for all that has been lost (and well done Sam Ryder). It was also mental health awareness week, with a focus on loneliness. It’s a subject close to my heart*.

Thursday was International Nurses Day 2022. I’m sure, like our hospital and my friends in the virtual community, much was done to celebrate the role of the nurse, and nursing’s contribution to health and care of individuals and the communities from which folk come. 

I fell into nursing as a career. I always wanted to be an artist, but couldn’t do that, so I fancied becoming a lumberjack. After many false starts (I was a Sainsbury’s management trainee, a window dresser, a blacksmith’s assistant), I became, what were called way back then, a nursing assistant. I loved the job. I worked in a mental health hospital and it felt like I had a natural affinity for this area of health care.

I was persuaded to do my nurse training, and the rest is history. I loved being a mental health nurse and the things I learnt way back then have stood me in great stead ever since. My biggest joy (it’s my birthday so I can be a little self-indulgent) was becoming the Dean of what was then the largest School of Nursing in England. Oh, what a privilege. Despite all the usual irritations of working in a large, heavily regulated organisation, the opportunities to allow so many people to find their pathway into nursing was what got me up each morning and ready to face whatever challenges came our way. I never took that responsibility lightly. These students were going to be part of my future, as they graduated and forged their own careers. Indeed, I think hardly a week goes by without me having to answer that question of ‘you don’t remember me, but…’ from someone who studied in our School at the University.

Now in retirement (well almost), I have so many fond memories of those times, and all the opportunities that I had. I was able to travel the world, write and be published, do research, influence policy, meet so many interesting people, and all the time learn so many new things. In lots of ways, those 10 years were a very happy period in my life. Other things make me happy these days. In no particular order I would note: walking on our beach; our garden; my wonderful wife, our children and grandchildren; Dylan the dog, our several cats, chickens and goats (well maybe not the goats), Billy the parrot; fine red wine; my role as Chair at Stockport NHS Foundation Trust and all the wonderfully folk I work with there. And finally, I guess the approach to life that is represented in having two incubators, each containing 6 eggs, sitting on top of our kitchen work tops bringing Indian runner ducks into the world. Do we need any more animals in our lives, obviously we do! 

As I thought this might be a pretty idiosyncratic collection of what might make me (or anyone else happy), I checked with the longest running study on happiness. It is the Harvard’s 84 year old Study of Adult Development. You can find it here. According to the study there are many factors that can lead to a happy life. A happy childhood helps, as does being focused on nurturing the next generation, and you don’t need to have your own children to do this. Being altruistic, helping others less fortunate than yourself are important ways of nurturing others. Spending time with loved ones is important. Forget that hedonistic lifestyle, drink less, be more active, and stop smoking. It’s also important to be able to let go. Don’t have regrets. Worry less about failures and mistakes and focus more on all those little things that bring you happiness. Look forward, seize the day, and if you can share each day with others that you care for, then so much the better.

 

* The happiness study’s Director, Robert Waldinger noted that close relationships are the strongest predictor of happiness, more so than money, fame, or anything else – on the other hand, loneliness kills – it’s a powerful a killer as smoking or alcoholism in terms of shortening people’s lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment