Sunday 26 September 2021

Caring for our wounded healers: no crystal ball needed

It was a funny old week last week, full of ups and downs. Having posted my blog last Sunday focusing on the problems there are in GP land, I began to feel more and more like Nostradamus as the media played catch up with the issues. Nostradamus was a French astrologer, doctor and predicter of future events. His first book was published 400 years before I was born. It is said that he predicted many things, including the Great Fire of London, the rise of Adolf Hitler, both the World Wars, the first moon landing, and even 9/11 and the attacks on the twin towers in New York. He also prophesied the end of the world. As far as I’m aware, this is one prediction that has happened yet.

Mind you last week’s news might make some people feel the end of the world is imminent. Covid19 hasn’t gone away, Brexit is hitting all parts of our lives, including empty shelves in our supermarkets, the cost of keeping ourselves warm going up fourfold, dead pigs stacking up on farms, and fruit rotting in the fields. To crown it all, those folk at the Government Communications Department issued a notice to say there was no need to panic buy petrol, as there was plenty in the refineries, immediately firing the starting gun for people to panic and spend hours queuing to fill up their cars. It was all pretty grim stuff, and I have to admit to resorting to what Frank Lloyd Wright described as ‘chewing gum for the eyes’ – watching TV to tune out the ever depressing zeitgeist.  

Despite the fact we have four televisions in our house, we seldom spend much time during Summer sitting inside watching any of them. I was once an avid watcher of ‘Come dine with me’ and ‘Four in a bed’ and would watch every episode every week – I know, I know, but even these programmes get seldom viewed these days. However, I was home alone last week and in the dark evenings, I played catch up. There wasn’t a great deal that appealed, and flipping through the channels I came across one of those ambulance programmes, which follow ambulance crews over a 24 hour period. The programme was part-way through as I settled down to watch the stories being told.

Underlying each of the stories were often high expressed emotions of fear, anxiety, despair, loss, coupled with pain and discomfort, which folk couldn’t deal with themselves. The paramedics featured were professional, compassionate, kind and very human. Whilst I got a sense of the emotions the ambulance call handlers were going through; it was hard to discern what each of the paramedics might be experiencing as they dealt with the different calls. If I’m honest, I was caught up with what I observed was the way they interacted with each of their patients, and didn’t think how facing so much trauma day after day might be impacting upon their mental health and wellbeing.   

That changed for me last week following my participation in a Wellbeing workshop for Chairs, Chief Executives, Wellbeing Guardians and Staff-side Chairs. It was facilitated by my colleague AlisonBalson, who is Director of Workforce at my old Trust, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh Teaching Hospital. Just an aside, the term ‘workforce’ really grates, as does the term ‘staff’ when referring to our colleagues. I’m on a crusade to change the language and narrative around the folk we stand beside in delivering our health care services. But I digress.

The workshop started with three powerful stories, told by the individuals themselves. The first was by a former paramedic who took us through her slow descent into depression and suicidality. I’m not sure how she got through the telling of her story. I and, I suspect, many others, were choked up as we listened to her tale. She had risen through the ranks, and was both a highly skilled advanced paramedic as well as holding a managerial role. Her mental health problems stemmed from an incident she was part of, that occurred in the very early hours of the morning, involving a serious road traffic accident in which five young people were seriously injured.

She told us what it felt like to manage the situation, having to wait over an hour to get the support she needed in terms of other ambulance crews and rescue services. All the young people involved in the accident eventually lost their lives. She went to all their funerals. Over the following six months she couldn’t get the trauma of what she had been involved in out of her mind. Her performance as a paramedic suffered, her family relationships disintegrated, and she experienced clinical depression to the extent of contemplating taking her life. It was a powerful story of vulnerability.

It was also a story of the need for us all of to recognise when something is not right with our colleagues, and the need for organisations to find way to ensure the mental health and wellbeing of individuals is a paramount and continuous concern. The workshop took us beyond the impressive array of wellbeing interventions and support that’s been developed during the pandemic. Good as these are, a more fundamental approach is required that ensures we don’t put colleagues in situations where their mental health might be impacted without there being a compassionate and caring response proactively available. I’m signed up to this and will work with colleagues to make sure it happens.

It was a week of ups and downs, and I do want to mention two folk who were definitely responsible for some great ‘ups’ last week: Emma Rogers and Mamoona Hood – two Matrons at Stockport Foundation Trust, who last week led on our #FallsAwarenessWeek – they were successful in engaging with folk across the entire Trust, and there was much shared learning, fun, patient, colleague and volunteers’ involvement and of course, cake. They even got me to wear a bright orange t-shirt! – now that takes some doing.

Finally, my up and down week is so, in part, due to remembering one of my younger brothers, Christopher, who died this past week, 14 years ago. He was a rascal, he was indomitable, a loving father and a generous brother. His premature passing seems so unfair and I miss him very much.

 

Ps Ambulance Series 8, starts this Thursday, 21.00 on BBC, and features the North West Ambulance Service – just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment