Saturday 31 October 2020

Being smart about how we capture a glimpse of the future

My father was a great amateur photographer. Over the years he had some amazing cameras and took some fabulous photos. For those readers of a certain age, cameras were clever devices that captured images on film, from which it was possible to create photos. My Dad had a little ‘dark room’ and I spent many an hour watching the magic happen as he developed photos from negatives in trays of special fluids and paper and hung them up to dry. For most of us, those days are well and truly in the past. It was a time before smartphones were able to turn us all into amazing photographers, or at least be able to take a picture of anything we want at the press of a screen. My father turned 90 last week, and today he enjoys seeing the photos sent to him by his children, his grandchildren and even great grandchildren. Sadly, because he lives in Wales, we were unable to celebrate his birthday in person. My new wife J, in conversation with my brother Mark, had the great idea of collecting birthday greetings from friends and family, putting them on a DVD and sending it to my Dad. Mark, took this idea forward and ran with it. He did an absolutely fabulous job and the finished DVD was a wonderful success. 

Young Mark is an Apple fan. He used his various Mac machines to produce a beautiful collection of video messages, complete with music and captions and even a cast list! I don’t know how he did this despite my owning a couple of iPads, iPods and an iPhone. 

However, my lovely wife J often tells me that I'm technologically inadequate. But, I still love her to bits and I’m grateful she is there to rescue me on the many occasions when the technology seems to let me down. She is the only person I know who had the patience to link my car to the internet and turn it into a smart car (although I’m still not sure I understand what this means).

How we use digital technology has increasingly become the way we live our lives. In lockdown, Zoom and Teams meetings allowed us to keep on meeting with each other virtually. Doctors’ appointments moved from the surgery to the sitting room, and goodness Amazon must have made some money with the huge rise in online shopping. Last week I received two separate emails extolling the many reasons why I should buy the new iPhone 12. It appears to be the key to unlocking the digital universe, see here. Now I can think of many other things I would rather spend £900 on than a new phone. I’m still using an iPhone 8 and it suits me well. It does everything I need, including being able to download the (so-called) NHS Covid-19 App. Apparently, if you do own an iPhone 12, you can also now do so as well.   

And that app. You would have had to have been locked in a monastery to miss the huge public outcry over the NHS test and trace app. Some claimed it was world-beating, (not me), and to say it had a rocky start would be an understatement. Last week the CEO of NHSX, Matthew Gould, admitted that they had ‘taken a punt’ in developing the app given they knew that Apple and Google were also working on their own programmes. Now I don’t know about you, but who do you really think was likely to have the expertise and resources to develop such an app, NHSX or Apple and/or Google?

Although this is an important question that will have to be addressed in what will inevitably be a public inquiry, it’s important to note and share far and wide, that the app can be downloaded from the Google Play Store, the Apple App Store and the NHS Covid-19app website.  However, last week we also learnt that there are other equally important Covid-19 apps. The one that caught my attention last week (although my attention to be truthful was on other things for much of last week) was an app called Compass. This is an app that reduces the serious harm (and possible death) caused by the hospital-acquired conditions of acute kidney injury (AKI) and pneumonia (HAP). The app allows clinical staff to assess every patient’s individual risk of developing these conditions while in hospital. This would help ensure that the right treatment is put in place to reduce the risk and possible death. The app is predicated upon the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI). This allows for a much quicker analysis of the risk to an individual by evaluating a range of factors and comorbidities that it would take extremely skilled and experienced doctors to be able to do. The AI draws upon a dataset made up of 140 million patients from across 46 countries!

Why Covid-19? Well NICE guidelines issued in May of this year noted the detrimental impact that AKI had on patients who were Covid-19 positive. Likewise, a study undertaken at the University Hospital Southampton carried out during phase one of the pandemic found AKI present in 31% of Covid-19 positive hospital patients, and that AKI was associated with 27% of those patients admitted into ICU. Their findings also showed that 44% of Covid-19 positive patients with AKI died compared to 19% of those without AKI. Patients over the age of 60 years are at a higher risk of both these conditions, and these are the group most impacted through the pandemic.

Whilst the article discussed reducing avoidable deaths, saving the NHS money (around £7 million in the direct cost of these conditions) I reflected on what the app might mean in the context of how we use technology. Using new technology to predict who might be at risk of health challenging conditions and providing early interventions has to be a better way of using scarce public money than building more hospitals. As the Dutch philosopher Erasmus noted way back in 1500, prevention is better than cure. The Compass app is a great example of how we can combine our growing knowledge of how to treat Covid-19 with our ability to harness digital technology to do just this. And it can all be done from the comfort of our smartphone.

My tip for staying safe when using smartphone-based technology during the pandemic is to clean your phone often and carefully. We have known for many years now that our mobile phones can carry 10 times more bacteria than most toilet seats. So, as we enter a second national lockdown, make sure you give your phone a wipe on a regular basis. It won’t help you take better pictures, but it will help keep you safe, and that is what is really important!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment