Sunday 5 July 2020

NHS Question Number 72: Should I buy a new birthday dress?

These days I seldom buy clothes. When I do, it’s very easy to do so. One of the great advantages of only wearing black, something I have done for more years than I can remember, is that clothes shopping is simple. My body hasn’t changed shape much over those years, so I know what shirt collar to buy (16), waist and trousers length (32, 29) and if I want a new suit, my chest is 42. Actually, it’s even more simple still. I tend to buy most of my clothes from M&S (yes, I know there are plenty of other clothes stores). I like their shirts, jeans, underwear, (who of my age doesn’t) jumpers, suits. So, it’s really simple. If I have the urge or need to buy a couple of new shirts; well it often takes longer to queue to pay, than it does to select them.

At a time where we are actively discouraged to browse and try clothes on, my approach really comes into its own. If I do order two shirts online, they will be delivered free to my front door; it’s that simple. However, for some folk, their retail experience is very different. As an example, take J and her approach. She will declare that she is desperate for some new clothes (simply because she has absolutely nothing to wear…) and off we set to fill a wardrobe we don’t yet own or have anywhere to put. Having nothing to wear obviously means something else other than any literal understanding of the phrase.

It won’t be just one shop we visit. It can be many. To the innocent bystander (reader that is me), what I observe is a casual wandering through racks of clothes, some of which are plucked off the rail, and almost instantly discarded. I have stopped offering examples of what I think would suit, but continue to respond honestly when it comes to the all important question of does my bum look big in this – if it does, I feel compelled to tell the truth. It’s simple; and it’s authentic. Trust me chaps, it’s the way to go. You can easily cook your own dinner, sofas are cosy to sleep on these days and if you can’t find any clean shirts, M&S do a great next day home delivery serve. OK, the last bit was obviously a bit tongue in cheek… …he says peering through what appears to be a dish of yesterday’s dinner leftovers that are strangely dripping down his face.  

Just in time for this blog, we embarked on one such shopping expedition last week. Arriving at our local high-street, we split up. Young J went to look at the clothes shop (yes, there is just one, and it’s called New Look), but we do live in an area of huge deprivation, and I went to do all the other shopping. Some 45 minutes later, I had done the week’s grocery shopping, ordered the winter logs, had a long look and discussion over a second hand 4x4, caught up on my emails, talked to an older lady who couldn’t remember what she had come in for (I have the same problem) and J was still wondering whether to buy a pair of jeans or not.

As I stood outside the shop wondering how much more of the millennium might be used up, the manageress (are we allowed to say that these days) came out of the shop and said it was okay for me to also go in, as J was still browsing. Reluctantly I entered and was immediately handed a pair of jeans to hold while J continued to look. The manageress explained to me that any clothes that customers touched had to be quarantined for 72 hours. There were quite a lot of clothes hanging on the quarantine rail. It seemed a strange way to have to do business, but at least they were still in business.

On the way back, I let my mind wander as it pondered that 72 hour figure. Before computers and super calculators were available, economists and mathematicians used the number 72 (Rule 72) to calculate how long it would take for a capital sum invested to double or halve in value. Using Section 5(2) of the Mental Health Act, a doctor can detain you in hospital for 72 hours. In the Bible, 72 was the number of languages spoken in the Tower of Babel. In degrees Fahrenheit, 72 is considered to be room temperature (although not in J’s opinion; it would need to be much higher). Those playing golf will know that the normal par for an 18 hole golf course is 72. All personal data breaches must be reported to the Information Commissioner’s Office within 72 hours. In Punjabi, it has a rather rude meaning, but you will have to look that up yourself. 

And of course, this weekend we celebrate 72 years of the National Health Service (NHS). Yesterday was a time of remembrance and reflection for all those health and care workers who have lost their lives to Covid-19 this year. There have been too many, and none will be forgotten. Staff across the NHS have gone the extra mile in dealing with the pandemic. Thousands of former (often retired) doctors and nurses and other healthcare workers returned to the NHS to help deal with the pandemic. It was also rightly important to recognise that there were other essential workers – the teachers, bus drivers, police and dustbin men (and women) to name but a few.*

For 10 weeks, every Thursday at 8pm, people up and down the land stood at their front doors and garden gates, and clapped, or banged saucepans and anything else that might make a noise in recognition and appreciation of all that those dealing with the pandemic had done for us. At 5pm today there will once again be an opportunity to say thank you to all those whose commitment, courage and sacrifice enabled us to fight the pandemic. #ThankYouTogether

Google maps tells me that it will take 72 minutes (I kid you not) to travel from my home on the Fylde Coast via the M61, to Trafford General Hospital (formerly Park Hospital). It was on the 5th July, that the NHS was launched at this hospital. It has not stopped working or caring for others since. If, in dealing with Covid-19, it’s felt at times like the NHS has been in quarantine, it is good to know that many are working hard at restoring all its many services. We may have to continue to do things differently, have our care provided in perhaps unfamiliar ways and places, but like J’s clothes shop, the NHS is still in business and may it be ever thus.     


*Picture Getty Images   


1 comment:

  1. nice information. Short but impressive.
    Thanks for sharing your experience|
    casio business calculators

    ReplyDelete