Sunday 9 June 2019

If your legs are good, then walk on gilded splinters


Well it was a funny old kind of week last week. There were sober parts – we celebrated the 75th anniversary of D-Day. I listened to the early morning live reports from Gold Beach in Normandy and the inauguration of the new statue and memorial to all those from the UK who lost their lives in order that we (and possibly the rest of the world) can enjoy the freedoms we have today. The US president was in attendance, as was the French president. Theresa May gave a speech in what was one of her last public duties before stepping down as Leader of the Conservative Party and in July, as the UK Prime Minister.

Dr John (the Night Tripper) died, and for those old enough to remember his music, here is something that will stay in your mind all day if you dare to sing it – “Kon kon, killy kon kon - Walk on gilded splinters.” There were lighter moments, another Doctor - Dr Darren Naish, an academic who has spent the last 20 years studying legends - admitted last week at the Cheltenham Science Festival that the Yeti and the Loch Ness Monster don’t exist. He claimed that in an age of high-quality mobile phone cameras, if they did exist, they would have been snapped by now. And last Thursday, I discovered through the power of Twitter (thanks @JennyTheM), that Sainsbury’s (there are other supermarkets) now sell Marmite Peanut Butter; a real treat for your breakfast toast. 

Last Wednesday as I was felling a tree, I got knocked clean off a ladder by a branch that slipped out of my grip and crashed into my ankle knocking me to the floor. Thankfully, I was only about 12 feet from the ground and was using a bow saw and not my chain saw at the time. The resulting haematoma was very dramatic, but as I could still wriggle my toes, I reckoned nothing was broken. And apart from some bruising, it looks as if I got away with it. 

I mention this, as last week was also the first ever Legs Matter Week. Up until quite recently I have never really thought about my legs. It was only when I injured my leg and the open wound wouldn’t heal that I began to realise what a difference to my life having healthy legs meant. Thankfully after a course of antibiotics and many, many weeks of rest, my leg is more or less healed. The wound area is still sensitive and despite now being very careful, when I knocked it the other week, it led to more blood loss and another infection. 

Reading the information published as part of awareness raising for Legs Matter Week, I discovered that the UK spends nearly £5.3bn each year managing lower limb ulceration and associated co-morbidities. Nearly £2bn is spent treating leg ulcers alone. Not only that, but NHS England has highlighted that the care provided to people can often be sub-optimal with much variation in the costs of treatment and healing times. In fact, as I discovered for myself, non-healing of leg ulcers and other wounds is quite common. Some 41% of patients have leg ulcers that fail to heal within 12 months of onset. As I also found out for myself, this can be very painful and can have a detrimental impact on a person’s physical and psychological well-being.

What I didn’t know was that lower leg ulceration and non-healing wounds affects about 1.5% of the UK population. Some 750,000 people each year live with such wounds. The commonest age for people to start to have such problems appears to be between 60-80 years of age. Given that in the UK we have a growing ageing population, this is not good news for folk like me or others in this age bracket. Additionally, 70% of leg ulceration is a result of venous disease. Varicose veins can be a sign of a developing venous disease, and varicose veins are a pretty good predicative factor in developing leg ulceration.

Now I’ve had varicose veins from as far back as I can remember. Indeed, I was treated for these at a very young age by sclerotherapy. A form of this treatment has been around since 1930 and is still used today, although these days it’s a great deal more sophisticated than that used on me. Strangely, I only have one leg affected. So the Leg Matters Week was an important wake up call for me. I now absolutely understand the need to take care of my skin and what the possible consequences of not doing so might be. 

And delightfully, my colleague @StephensMelanie, from the University of Salford last week successfully completed her PhD journey. Melanie has worked tirelessly to promote tissue viability and wound care. She created some of the most realistic ‘wounds’ I have ever seen to help our student nurses understand how they might be best looked after. I once had the privilege of opening one of her very successful wound care conferences. Having a mental health background, I took the opportunity to remind the conference delegates of the importance of also considering how we might best care for those wounds we can’t see. Drawing on the art work of Frida Khalo, I explored the notion of Carl Jung’s wounded healer and Isabel Menzies Lyth work around why some of us might be ‘compelled’ to enter the caring professions. They didn’t invite me back for subsequent conferences.

As Dr John might have said: Kon kon, killy kon kon – I walk on gilded splinters.  

No comments:

Post a Comment