Sunday 13 January 2019

Education, experience and knowing when to reach out to others


Well last week was one that was jam packed with different experiences. There was a Remuneration Committee meeting, where among other things I learnt much about the incomprehensibility of the NHS ‘Very Senior Managers’ pay guidance, and the possible introduction of a ‘portfolio salary’ approach in the future – yes I can feel your envy at the sheer excitement of my life. I hired the largest van I have ever driven and took the last load of furniture up to Scotland and drove back in the fog. Whilst I was packing yet another box, I came across a photo album (younger readers ask your parents what this is). It was a photographic record of my first trip to New York, nearly 25 years ago now. The Twin Towers still stood, and my body still looked good too! 

I had another one of those ‘Hello, are you Tony?’ experiences, where someone you don’t know, but who knows of you, comes up and introduces themselves. Something I find very strange these days (but that’s the subject for a different blog). In this case it was a young man, who unbeknown to me, was the son of J’s brother. He was working in the van hire shop. He had seen my name on the computer and recognised it, and just wanted to say hello! And then there was the cooker repair man experience. I watched in amazement as he removed what looked like 100s of screws to get inside the oven and replace a broken element. I was fascinated to see them all being put back in again, the oven switched on and normal cooking service resumed. Brilliant! 

However, last Friday evening’s experience was a very painful one. Like every week for the last 10 weeks, I had spent the previous two days moving very heavy objects, loading and unloading these into vans as part of a complicated series of house moves. The result has been the onset of lateral epicondylitis (or Tennis Elbow to you and me). If you have ever experienced this, you will know just how painful and debilitating the condition can be. But it wasn’t this that caused the pain. It was the sad news that following a very short illness, Dianne Oxberry had died aged just 51 years old. Possibly for many folk living outside the North West of England, they may not have heard of Dianne even though she had many roles on TV over the years. She was a weather presenter extraordinaire on our local BBC news programme North West Tonight (@BBCNWT). Famous for her fabulous high heels, razor sharp wit and championing the equal rights of women. Like many others, my thoughts are with her husband and her two young children at this very sad time.

What made the evening painful and very poignant was the way her colleagues delivered the @BBCNWT programme. There was a great deal of raw emotion on display and many of her long-term colleagues and friends joined the programme to pay their tributes. It was both hard to watch and difficult to deal with the suddenness of the news. There was no weather report presented that night. I was struck by the outpourings of love for Dianne, both from those in the studio and those sending in messages via social media. She will be missed by many. 

One of those in the studio talked of having sat with Dianne early in the week as she lay in the Christie Hospital. He told of how he held her hand as she drifted in and out of consciousness. I’m sure it will have brought her great comfort. It also made me think about those who in similar situations who don’t have friends and family around them at such a time. I was going to write ‘except with just nurses to care for them as they pass from this life’ – but I changed my mind. 

Let me explain. Last week the University of Salford ‘graduated’ its first cohort of Trainee Nursing Associates. They were a great bunch, all ages and from all walks of life. There were many senior nurses and managers from the local health economy there to share in the celebrations.  Now the introduction of these new entrants to the health and social care workforce has not been greeted with universal approval. There are many qualified nurses who see the Nursing Associate as some kind of threat to the profession. I’m not so sure. They will be regulated by the NMC and have a very different curriculum underpinning their education and training to that of qualified nurses. Their scope of practice obviously reflects this difference in education. At the celebration last week, they were described as a group that will take on some of the practical tasks of qualified nurses freeing them up to take on some of the more complex tasks. In the context of Dianne’s death, I wondered about this notion of complexity. I thought about the man who held Dianne’s hand as she slowly left this world. Is holding someone’s hand in such a situation a complex task? No, but perhaps knowing when to reach out and do so requires a different mindset. Maybe that comes with experience alongside education and training. 

Coincidentally, last week the BBC in Northern Ireland reported on the fact that older students studying to become qualified nurses bring an all-important ‘life experience’ to the nursing profession. Student nurses in Northern Ireland still get a bursary. A third of students at the prestigious Russell Group UK Queen’s University in Belfast have started their nurse education ‘a little later in life’. It was the same situation in England before the bursary was scrapped. However, in England, Trainee Nursing Associates get paid at Band 3 of the National Agenda for Change pay scale. Time will tell if these new entrants to the traditional workforce really do support the existing professions. I do know that whoever it is, when the time comes, I want someone there to reach out and hold my hand, if just for a moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment