Sunday 22 March 2015

A Green Clog Tuesday full of Good News Story’s

One of my colleagues, Amanda, was in the news last week. Hers was a story of superb leadership in leading a team of colleagues in securing accreditation from the North West Simulation Education Network for the Schools simulation resources as a centre of excellence.  Whilst hospitals in the North West have achieved this accreditation, the School was the first higher education institution to be recognised in this way. The simulation resources include a number of clinical areas, replica hospital wards, and a fully fitted small apartment. The equipment includes state of the art mannequins that students can use to practice everything from complex clinical procedures to assisting a mum to give birth. Look here for a taster.

I was really pleased that the hard work Amanda and her colleague's had put in to creating the gold standard in simulation education was recognised. As I have said many times in these blogs, I am privileged to work in a School that has so many creative, enthusiastic, innovative and committed colleagues. Last week Tony and his team of researchers secured a £117000 research grant; Elaine (G) sorted out the arrangements for our July Graduation ceremonies; Elaine (B) further developed our SWAN submission; Imelda once again successfully used digital-media to facilitate her mentor sessions, and PA Jennie successfully got me to where I needed to be with the right papers and at the right time.

Another example of the commitment colleagues make to not just our work but the values underpinning our ambitions came from Sarah and her Social Work colleagues; Michaela, Donna, Kate, Dan and Ian last week. Their contribution was nothing to do with teaching or research, marking or practice development. Their's was a different type of contribution. Last Tuesday was World Social Work Day 2015. This year the theme was ‘promoting the dignity and worth of people’.  Sarah and team organised a food collection, tombola, and cake sale to celebrate on the day. They raised £156.11 for their 2 charities Afruca and Mind.

Whilst at the same time, Caroline and others recorded good wishes for World Social Work Day to add to those collected and shared by the International Federation of Social Workers. This year there were messages from 33 different countries. Have a look at what social work lookslike in different parts of the world. It was also St Patrick’s day last Tuesday. So when I went to purchase my cakes, I slipped my green clogs on so I could celebrate St Patrick Day as well as the work of my colleagues.

In fact my green clogs came in useful last week as I was privileged to deliver the final lecture to the Class of 2015 nursing students. They had their Ball last week and didn't they look good! And tomorrow I will welcome the next 300 nursing students starting their studies with us. I sometimes think I have the best job in the world – for example, meeting the new students as they start the journey of fulfilling their ambitions and then having the opportunity to wish them well as they leave us is for many students just a staging post. Many will come back to continue their studies. Hopefully they are going to be contributing to health and social cares services for at least the next 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment